Saturday, October 1, 2011

Getting oriented in Istanbul

The balance of my IBM Corporate Service Corp team arrives throughout the day today and into this evening.  I spent the day wandering around old Istanbul taking in the Grand Bazaar, the Spice Bazaar, as well as few other notable sights.  I made sure to stop for a Turkish Coffee (yes, as thick as the guide book said, but very good) and also to sample some Baklava (also excellent).  The Bazaar's have a scale and atmosphere that is hard to describe.  There is the "inside part" which I expect caters to tourists, as well as the surrounding streets which cater more to locals, I explored both - I got lost a number of times but somehow managed to find my way out.  I held off buying too much, although many of the shop owners were very eager to do business  :-)

Our hotel in Istanbul
One of the entrances to the Grand Bazaar - note the kiosk selling roasted corn & chestnuts
Inside the Grand Bazaar
Spice Bazaar
Turkish Delight at the Spice Bazaar

Outside the Grand Bazaar
Happened upon a local marching band

View of the Blue Mosque from the Topkapi Palace

1 comment:

  1. Hey mike,
    Great blog - the pics are awesome! Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you before you left, and wish you Bon voyage. Just the same, have a great trip and keep blogging.
    Glen
    P.S. I'm first "follower" on your blog so do i win some IBM logo wear or do I just settle for bragging rights?

    ReplyDelete